Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I Can See Mt. Fuji From My Window!

The last couple of days have been somewhat emotional for me, as we've been reminded once more that the domino effect of who goes where this year will impact where we go when Jeff rotates in December of 2011. I am not ready to step on this new roller coaster ride so far out. I am not ready to wrap my head around the concept that we will not get to return to our home and our friends as we'd all hoped. Of course I am at this point a fairly seasoned military spouse, I know that a whole lot can happen in the next 18 months. I also know for survival you have to at some point let the roller coaster pass you by and refuse to get on and to instead take to heart the expression we were reacquainted with in Thailand, "Que, Sera, Sera" - Whatever will be, will be, the future's not ours to see ... but it's oh, so, hard.

Yesterday was a nasty day. It rained, the wind blew in off of the bay making the windows in the house shake. It did not help my mood. But today, ahhh - it's beautiful. A glorious Spring day, with crystal clear skies. Some days if you're lucky, you can catch a glimpse of Mt. Fuji from certain vantage points on base. But this morning Walker and Wrenn noticed something new ... maybe yesterday's storm blew away any haze, maybe this morning we all needed a reminder of why we're here but as I was downstairs taking care of some early morning household chores I heard from upstairs the call of "I can see Mt. Fuji from my window!" and another "I can see it too!" - we all rushed to catch a glimpse of Fuji-san. And there it was in all it's glory, with snow still on it - it's been there all along, for the last 8 months and yet for whatever reason, none of us had noticed that we could see it from the upstairs windows of our home.

As the house quieted down, once everyone departed for school, I took out my camera and headed back upstairs to capture Mt. Fuji. It made me realize that sometimes all we need is to look out our own windows to see the world in a different way. It reminded me that I need to stay in the moment, take in all that's around me and as for the future, as challenging as it is for me, I will have to let go and know that ... whatever will be, will be. Inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment