Sunday, April 4, 2010

Machida Shrine Sale

Thursday I was invited to ride along to visit the Machida Shrine Sale. If my readers will remember, this is the shrine sale that my husband and I could not find back in November ... and instead found a stone chozubachi. This shrine sale occurs on the first of every month and it's the first opportunity I've had to go check it out since our trip in November. Right off the train line, it has the reputation for being one of the more pricey shrine sales, with the Embassy personnel making their way down from Tokyo. Unlike the "Shrine" sale in Yamata that I've been to several times, this one actually does take place on the grounds of a shrine. So while there were visitors to the shrine that were clearly there for spiritual reasons - lighting incense, ringing the bell - there was this hubbub all around as vendors and shoppers negotiated over the wares.


It's always fun to take a look and see what's for sale. There were a few items that caught my eye but for the most part my Yen was staying in my wallet, until tucked away in a far back corner of the grounds of the shrine I saw these bottles, huge medicine/pharmacy bottles. I walked away from them and decided to take one more look around - making sure I hadn't missed the piece I could not live without. But the bottles had taken hold, and I circled back. My rule of thumb is, if I walk away and decide when I get home that I should have purchased something, then I'd better go back and get it. Not really being too sure what I'd use them for ... to hold buttons? beads? ... the vendor and I did a little negotiation. I decided to purchase three, three being a lucky number here in Japan and headed off to meet my group.


On the way home a light bulb went off and I knew exactly what I'd be using these for. My daughter and I have headed over to a little cove in the Hayama area that is known for having a great selection of sea glass and pottery shards. I could spend hours there. I have always found beaches to be such a cathartic place. Not the beaches like Daytona during Spring Break, but the quiet, solitary beaches - especially in off season. They have a way of clearing the cobwebs from my head. 


Wrenn and I have started our collection, we have sea glass, pottery shards and swirling ocean rocks with holes worn down over time. These jars will be our memory keepers, holding moments of time spent on the beach with my daughter, looking for the treasures washed up from the sea. Inspiring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment