Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Traditions

Easter is upon us. With it passes my favorite season of the church – Lent. Most people find that surprising when the topic comes up (which isn’t often, because it’s not like I go around talking about church and God – spirituality and my faith are very, very personal to me – thank goodness the Episcopal Church isn’t a real big advocate for Evangelicalism, otherwise I’d be outta there.) – but I love Lent, I love how it marks a period of time for personal reflection, for soul searching and for peace. The Easter bunnies in the stores, all the candy, the garish colored baskets – are all a vivid reminder to me that Lent is ending and Easter has arrived.

The church holidays are a bit of a challenge for us here in Japan. The closest Anglican Church (the Episcopal Church is part of the worldwide Anglican community) is in Yokohama. About an hours drive and more than $10US in tolls each way. Once you arrive the parking there is very limited (about 5 parking spaces for the English speaking service). Jeff was on call this weekend and I was less than motivated to make this trek by myself. So we bagged church. On Easter. I think it’s the first time since the kids have been born. As a matter of fact I can’t recall ever having missed an Easter service, although I’m sure I have at some point. But as much as I love Lent and am sorry to see it go, I do love the Easter service. I love the music and the message of hope. So with the omission of church from our day, I turned to the holiday dinner and asked Jeff – “do you want me to make an Easter dinner.” “Naaah” he replies – “it’s just too much work for you and I’ll be at work, don’t bother.”

I was pretty much on the fence, but suspecting that the kids might see things just a bit differently I posed the question to them. The answer was an unequivocal yes, of course we want an Easter dinner – if for no other reason than to eat pie. Years ago, when the kids were small I used to wonder if all the effort was worth it. I would be in the kitchen for hours, and then in an instant it would be over – they would be off and running again and Jeff and I would look at each other as the clean up process would begin and sigh and think “next year we’re going to brunch.” As time went on though and the kids got older, each one started to have their own role in our holiday dinners. The boys make the pies (they might just kill me for putting that out there – but let me tell you they both make awesome pies, piecrust from scratch thank you very much – and one day we tell them, they will impress the hell out of their future inlaws when they show up with a homemade pie), Wrenn makes rolls and is in charge of whatever kinds of potatoes we have, they all know how to set a formal table (visual guide provided). So this year, I said o.k. but if we’re having an Easter dinner then you have to help. And help they did. Pretty much I was the “super” (family joke for Superintendant, which was what my grandfather was on construction sites, he could pretty much tell anyone how to do anything – whether he knew much about the process or not – including cooking, for which I believe he only knew how to open a can of Vienna Sausages. But the man could make some wicked drinks … I’ll have to save that for another entry – his Mint Julieps would knock you on your butt.) the kids did the main parts, Jeff helped with the salad. When all was ready we sat down to eat, with some of the family favorites – hash brown cheese potatoes that are so incredibly fattening I shudder to think how many hours and days I’d have to exercise to work off one serving but they are oh, so delicious; pear blue cheese salad; gingerale with cherries and cherry juice; olive and pickle tray; apple pie; and in true southern style lemon chess pie so sweet and tart it'll make your teeth hurt. The candles were lit and as we got ready to say the blessing Jeff pops out “godblessthefoodamen” as he lifts his fork … to which (and this did so much for my Easter spirit of hope, the kids have just no idea) all three of the kids went “daaaaaddd.” They folded their hands and we all started in (including Jeff) …

“Oh Lord in your Holy Spirit, give us an inquiring mind and a discerning heart, the courage to will and to persevere, a spirit to know and to love you, and the gift of joy and wonder in all your works. Amen”*

Sometimes it’s those that surround us on a daily basis that provide us with the most inspiration. Family traditions that continue, because the whole family played a part. Inspiring.

* this passage is from the BOC (Book of Common Prayer) in the service for Holy Baptism. A favorite priest of ours, Jim Sell, once said that he thought this was one of the most beautiful and inspiring passages from the BOC. We agree. It’s has become our family blessing for all our meals. Thanks Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment