Monday, June 21, 2010

Umeshu - excuse me?

Each Monday I take the train to Kamakura for my English Conversation classes. My students are very sweet and share things about Japanese life and culture that otherwise I would be left unawares. Two weeks ago, one of my students had stopped by the farmers market before class and had bought a bag of green plums. There was some discussion about these plums and what exactly do the Japanese do with them? They don't look like the plums I'm used to buying in the U.S. and they were as hard as a rock. I was told that they make Umeshu (plum wine) with them. "Really? Tell me how."

More discussion (more Japanese than English) and I learn more. The Japanese believe that Umeshu is very healthy for you (it's supposed to keep your insides healthy); you combine the green plums with rock sugar (kouri satou) and shochu (flavorless distilled alcohol) in a sterilized jar, shake for one week and then place in a cool dark place for about 3 months. You then remove the plums and let the umeshu sit for about 5 months. If you can, leaving it for 2 years is best for it mellows and improves with age. I found a really great website with instructions if you'd like to know more go to: www.justhungry.com.

I stopped by the farmers market the next week, made my purchase of green plums and then went to the Japanese grocery store with the recipe printed out from justhungry.com - this was key, as the names of the rock sugar and shochu were in romanji (roman version of hiragana) and all I had to do was say excuse me in Japanese and point. A very confused, but very helpful clerk helped me locate the necessary ingredients - conveniently located in a special display with all the supplies needed to make your own Umeshu, even a canning jar (good thing because I was having no luck with that item here on base). I thanked the clerk and walked away as three of the workers in rapid fire Japanese most likely had an interesting conversation about what in the world would a foreigner want with these supplies!

So now I guess we'll wait and see. Patience. This seems to be a recurring theme for me here in Japan. Not exactly one of my strong suits, although I am working on it. For the next few days I'll continue to shake the jar, and then put it to rest ... hoping that by New Years Jeff and I can sample the Umeshu and toast to good health (or at least healthy insides). My students shared more with me than just a recipe, they also shared part of their culture. For that I am all the richer and more healthy. Inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to toss the ume- you can leave it until you drink it all up and then eat them. I swear!

    ReplyDelete