Thursday, March 8, 2012

7 Bags in 7 Days


I have a group of friends here in Yokosuka that have asked me to teach them to sew. My initial thought when asked was, "I'm not qualified." Living in Japan and taking classes in Ikebana (the Japanese art of flower arranging) and Shibori (the Japanese form of sophisticated tie-dying) has made me reconsider the very western mentality of "I've taken a 2-hour workshop, therefor I am now qualified to teach a class."

The Japanese put a lot of emphasis on levels. For example I have an Ikenobo (the oldest school of Ikebana) sensei who is a level 18 (out of 20) instructor. Level 18. Each level requires a certain amount of study and then a test. I suppose that is why here in Japan, Ikebana is not just "flower arranging" it truly is an art. The crowds from the Ikebana exhibition I saw in the fall were something akin to seeing the Monet exhibition at the Boston Museum of Fine Art a number of years ago. You needed tickets and it was jam packed with people.

During my shibori studies, I would ask the ladies in my class how many years they had been studying shibori. Some would say 5 years, or 10 years or even 20. I was amazed, "Twenty years?" I would say. "You could be teaching." They would smile and look down, shaking their heads and say "Oh, no, I'm not qualified." Really? This was just not something my western brain could wrap her little head around. Who studies a craft for 20 years and is not qualified to teach?

My friends gently pressed me. One friend wanted to make an apron. Another shares my love of Swany's boutique bags and came with a stack of patterns with the question "I want to make these but don't know how. Can you help me figure it out?" The third friend just wants to learn how to use her machine, happy to go on the sewing adventure wherever it will lead her.

I caved. We have been getting together twice a month. In exchange for my time, they all bring something to share for lunch. Food and friendship shared over sewing. I think I am getting much more out of this deal than they are.

I'm getting sewing questions I don't think about anymore like "How do you sew on a button?" or "How do I know what needle to use on my machine?" or "What's this presser foot used for?" – it has required me to take a step back and do a little research. It has also forced me to focus. On bags.

There are more bag patterns from Swany's than I have time to make before we leave this summer but I will be trying to figure out as many as I can before I go. My friend who shares my love of the Swany's bags emailed me last night with "I picked up more patterns when I was at Swany's today." "Bring them next time" was my response "I'll try to figure them out." (they are in Japanese)

With the request for bag guidance and knowing that I'm always better working on a deadline (even if they are self-imposed)  I have decided to make seven bags in seven days. It will take some patience and figuring out (most likely ripping out) as I struggle to look at the corresponding photos we've taken when in Swany's and compare them to the patterns, but what I'm discovering is that I'm really enjoying this exercise. My friends through their request for help in learning to sew, have pushed my sewing skills into new directions. Over the sewing table we've shared stories, recipes, laughs and support – all of which of course has left me ... inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment