Monday, March 12, 2012

Fourth Bag for a Reason?

"Why?" is the question. Why seven bags in seven days?

"Why are you doing this?" ask my kids as they push aside the piles of fabric and patterns piled up on the only large flat space in our quarters - the dining room table - trying to carve out a place for themselves to eat.

"Are you going to make any money doing this?" Is what my husband wants to know. I'm sure as he casts a wary glance at the charges coming in from Swany's.

"What will you do with them?" ask friends. "Give them away? Sell them?"

The short answer is I don't know why to any of these questions. Maybe it's about the process. Some people knit and think. Solve their life's problems. Others run and think (I do that too). 

Sewing lets me create something while at the same time I'm thinking. Thinking about bag construction, thinking about thread to use, sometimes I'm thinking about anything but what I should be thinking about (pending move). The process is a form of therapy for me. 

I don't know what I will do with these bags. I don't know if I'll sell them and create an Etsy account or just give them as gifts and hope my friends excuse the errors knowing that they were created as part of a learning experience. 

Perhaps I will incorporate them with my shibori dyeing once I master both. Perhaps I'll open a shop, or hold workshops or both. I'm not sure yet. 

What I do know is that through this exercise I am learning, brain cells are firing, creative juices are flowing and it feels right. And oh yes, it of course leaves me ... inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment