Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bojo Bo Lynn


Continuing on my journey through the book Authentic Happiness an entry under the techniques that promote savoring grabbed my attention. “Memory Building – make a mental picture of the event or take a souvenir and reminisce about it later.” We had recently returned from our trip to Saipan and I didn’t purchase much on this trip. My family is not a family of shoppers – in fact, if I haven’t already stated this I’m pretty darn sure Jeff somehow managed to make a pact with the kids while still in-utero that they would not agree to any kind of shopping whatsoever until promised item (what a car at 18?) was delivered. It is a total drag to shop with them – and I’m not even that into shopping but when we travel I do love to try and find a little something to remember the trip by – most of the times I am just searching for a small item that could become a Christmas Tree ornament. In Thailand I found a small carved flying pig – to mark the occasion of Obama’s first Christmas in the White House (since during the election I had heard someone on tv say that Obama would become President “when pig’s fly”). In Saipan it was our last day, and still nothing had jumped out at me … so while waiting for the boys to finish getting their fix on WWII at a small roadside park I wandered over to a vendor who had her wares set up for the tourists, there Bojo Bo caught my eye.

She’s funky looking - I liked that about her and she came with a card that read “My name is BoJo Bo Lynn. I was born in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. My mission is to guide you, to help you fulfill your dreams. If you need some of my strength – fold my arms, for love – cross my legs or money cross my hands behind my back. Then all you need to do is hang me up where you can see me and have faith. Whatever your dream, I will lead you there.”

For the moment, perhaps until Christmas rolls around, I have her hung up on the knob of the old cabinet where our computer sits. It’s a daily reminder for me to have faith and dream big. Inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment