Monday, May 17, 2010

The promise of hope

When I made my entry about living in our box and my utter lack of motivation to plant anything, I mentioned that Wrenn had decided to take matters into her own hands (literally) and plant a garden. She picked out the plants and has nurtured them. She's diligent, as any good gardener needs to be - she weeds and waters on a daily basis and the fruits of her labor (sorry, I know it's a cliche but I couldn't resist) are shown at right. When we bought the Ume (plum) Tree it was full of blossoms and they smelled divine. When they all fell off I really didn't give it much thought - figuring it was an ornamental plum, not a fruit bearing plum tree. Much to our delight, Wrenn discovered that there are two precious baby plums on the tree. The odds are against her ever having a chance to bite into these and experience the sweet juices running down her chin. Birds, insects, weather - they're all out there ready to play their part in survival of the fittest. But for the moment, it's nice to have hope, that care and diligence may just win out and Wrenn – not an insect, not a bird – will get to have the first bite. Inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. You could teach her to make ume juice with them- I hear it is beer, sugar, & ume (you can use non-alcoholic beer). I have yet to see a Japanese person eat the fruit- they make liquor, juice, & pickles with them from what I've seen.

    ReplyDelete