Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Higanbana - Red Spider Lily


I spied these cool little flowers, known in Japan as Higanbana (lycoris radiata), at the Tokyo Craft Show last week. I had seen this particular vendor at the Yokohama Quilt Show in the Fall and was intrigued with their many different fabric crafts. This time around, not only did they have a cool display, they also had a make and take workshop. Yoriko, a friend of one of the ladies in our group, was kind enough to ask if I could sit and take the mini-workshop on how to make the Higanbana. We sat down and had a quick 10 minute instruction and Yoriko told me that these flowers bloom in the Fall. It was fun – immediate gratification – and I shelled out my precious Yen to buy supplies to make seven more of these little beauties (7 being a lucky number in Japan). Fun, quick, and pretty ... now that's my kind of craft and it's ... inspiring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment