Monday, May 10, 2010

Portraits




“Most people don’t like having their picture taken. It’s a stressful, self-confrontational moment.” Annie Leibovitz, At Work

The picture is of Wrenn as I attempted to try yet again to freeze a moment in time and capture the beauty of my daughter – as you can see she is not a willing subject. Like a movie star trying to block the paparazzi her quick reflexes blocked my opportunity.

I get it – mostly because I do not enjoy having my photo taken either. It makes me incredibly self-conscious and once I see it I’ll pick it apart with a toothpick until there’s no hope for the photo except the “delete” button.

I’ve realized as the kids have gotten older as soon as I pull out the camera they magically vanish or they glare into the camera – looking more like I’m torturing them than catching the essence of their personalities. Portrait photography may not be a talent I possess but I am not willing to give up just yet. So I’ve checked out books from the library here on base, have ordered photography books from Amazon, and have searched the web for inspiration from the masters ... Leibovitz, Lange, Newman.

Wrenn’s reaction has not deterred me … much to her dismay I would guess, it has in fact inspired me. Inspired me to learn more about photography, about how to capture that moment in time and to be persistent – I read that it can take more than 50 photos of a subject before you get “the one.” Well Wrenn, that’s one down and 49 to go. Inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment