Friday, March 26, 2010

Annapolis Japanese style

Once a week I have the good fortune to go to Kamakura to teach English Conversation. This is a small town that has a boatload of character. At it's height of importance in Japan, it was the center of government in 1192 and has many shrines and temples, Hachimangu being one of the most popular tourist spots. It is also a coastal town, facing out to Sagami Bay. I could start a blog just devoted to Kamakura - there are so many neat things to see. It reminds me a lot of Annapolis, old with lots of character, great walking town, on a bay (although you don't see the boats here like Ego Alley), charming shops, great little restaurants.

It is definitely a walking town, if you were to drive through here you would just miss too much. I always bring my camera, my students laugh when they see me lugging it into class, but for me each time I come to this town I see something inspiring. Like this colorful collection of house slippers. The shop owner was just opening up her shop, sweeping the front stoop after putting out the display of slippers. There's something unique to Japan, the care they take in the artful display of their wares and I am thriving on the eye-candy. Inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment