Monday, March 8, 2010

One Thousand Cranes



One thousand cranes is a journey, an exploration into what inspires me and motivates me to create. It’s also a goal, a way to keep me on track and focused. I am not sure I’ve ever consciously done anything optional for 1000 consecutive days – except maybe brush my teeth. Surely there’s more to life than that? Yes, I pick up my shibori – but not every day. And yes, I keep a journal – but I am sporadic at best, and even though I love being creative other things seem to get in the way, clothes to be washed and folded, emails to be answered, family needs, in other words … life gets in the way.

I’ve been reading a couple of books that have made me stop and think about creativity, life, happiness. Maybe this is what you do when the countdown to the big 50 starts looming it’s ugly head. Reevaluating and reordering your life becomes more of a priority. A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink and The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp are making those atrophied wheels turn in my head again. Authentic Happiness by Martin E.P. Seligman and Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl are the other two books that are spurring me on – making me stop and ponder at the end of the day, to paraphrase Apolo Ohno “did I give it my best today, did I give it my all?” What gives me joy, inner peace – and I keep coming back to creating, creating something, creating anything.

Since arriving in Japan I read about the story of the young Japanese girl, Sadako Sasaki. Diagnosed with leukemia after being exposed to radiation from the bombing of Hiroshima a friend came to visit her in the hospital, making her a paper crane and telling her the Japanese legend of the paper cranes - that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish. Determined to fold 1000 cranes with the hope of recovering from her illness and world peace, she fell short of her goal, having folded 644 before her death. Her friends completed the 1000 paper cranes and buried them all with her. Her story is filled with hope, perseverance and inspiration.

Inspiration is all around us, even the simple daily meditative action of folding a paper crane could lead to a creative journey not yet taken.

And so I begin this journey – to fold one paper crane for the next 1000 days and along the way share the inspiration that comes from this simple meditative act. j.

No comments:

Post a Comment