Thursday, March 11, 2010

Inspiration



Today is one of my most favorite days of the month. It is my monthly Ikebana class. This very old and traditional art of arranging “flowers” (and I put this is quotes because it’s not always flowers that the Japanese artfully transform into beautiful arrangements) gives me great joy. I love the fact that you look at the stem or branch and basically let is speak to you – and today I listened. I had one stem that naturally swooped to one side, contrast that with the freesia which stood straight upright. I’ve learned that the space/air around the pieces is as important as the groupings. When you have two elements two one side – the front one should be lower and longer, the back one shorter and higher (as the sweet peas in the photo). There are guidelines but it is much more free form to me than the western style of flower arranging (which I totally bite at). And asymmetrical is a good thing - yes!

Today the flowers inspired me to try something different in my class and I listened to them and let them guide me, not quite sure at the beginning I was on the right path but pleased at the end with the look achieved. I guess sometimes it's the simple gifts of nature that can nudge you to move in new directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment