Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Release Your Barriers

Sometimes words of wisdom come out of the mouth of babes...

There are many, many things I love about being a mom. One of the things I probably love the most is that my kids keep me on my toes and offer me daily surprises.

Whether intended or not, Wrenn amused me about a year ago while we were "challenge clothes shopping" - which is a good thing because as you will see, there is nothing amusing about shopping with her. Here's the short-list of what her clothes cannot have: pink/purple/any pastel colors, hearts (that includes all Roxy, because even though Roxy has "cool hip clothes" they have a heart in their logo), butterflys, flowers, any type of embellishment. No scoop necks, no v-necks, no cap sleeves, no boat necks. No gathering/smocking/pleating. No stripes. No polka dots. It should go without saying that skirts/skorts/dresses are out of the question.

So while trying to find anything that would fit into these parameters - standing in Target, surrounded by clothes - I said "Really Wrenn? There's absolutely nothing here that you would consider wearing?" To which she replied "Well, perhaps I should release my barriers." I still get a laugh out that when I think of it. At least she recognizes that she has barriers. At 11.

While living here in Japan I have tried hard to follow my daughter's words of wisdom and to release my barriers and try new and different things. And so, this week I went to Kinokuniya a sort of Sutton Place/Whole Foods Market type of store in Kamakura. They had a girl standing offering samples, and what caught my eye was the colorful combination on the trays. I stood back, trying to figure out what she was serving and she turned and held out a toothpick wrapped with the green vegetable. With Wrenn's voice in my head, "release your barriers" I accepted the sample and tried it. It was quite good. She proceeded to offer me a sample of each of the vegetables and I was sold. Having no idea what I just ate (she did speak a little English and assured me they were all vegetables) I picked up the package and headed to the checkout.

Today, be inspired, try something new. Release your barriers.

No comments:

Post a Comment