Sunday, March 28, 2010

Otafuku


“Her joyful attitude toward life is one we could all espouse and one that I aspire to myself. She is a universal goddess who bids us all know what is amusing in life and in other people. She is a fount of generosity, of sharing her own abundance.”

Excerpt from Otafuku, Joy of Japan by Amy Katoh

Otafuku - I love her, she makes me smile and fills my heart with joy. I found this version of Otafuku laid out with a myriad of items at a recent shrine sale. She seemed to be laughing up at me and saying “take me if you dare.” I pulled out my Yen and after a swift negotiation, she was mine.

In Japanese, “fuku” means good fortune. I’ve had the good fortune to live in this country for just over 8 months now and nearly every day I find something here that lifts my heart and inspires me. I will hang her in our home and with her joyful face encouraging me, I will continue to seek out and discover Japan. Inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment